Friday 3 October 2008

Revisiting Canna 'Sky Hawk'


A giant Foliage Group cultivar; dark chocolate foliage, very large, ovoid shaped, maroon margin, spreading habit; oval stems, coloured green + purple; spikes of flowers are erect, self-coloured orange-red, staminodes are long and narrow, edges regular, fully self-cleaning; fertile both ways, not true to type, self-pollinating, capsules round; rhizomes are thick, up to 7 cm in diameter, coloured white and purple; tillering is prolific.

Introduced by Johnny K. Johnson, USA.



The giant of our collection. J.J. excelled himself with this one. Red-edged, chocolate coloured gigantic leaves on red stems. The flowers are carried so high you won't reach them without a ladder. They are long spikes of large orange/red orchid shaped blooms. Size up to 3.3m (11').

2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled across your blog and was blown away, since I also have a love for cannas (though I'm not quite the devotee that you are... yet). Thanks for posting so much wonderful information about the different cultivars. I'm adding your blog feed to my RSS reader now so I won't miss any future updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim,

    I am not used to praise, you are actually the first to tell me that I am not just a sad fanatic writing about something nobody else wants to read about anyway!

    I can take praise, why not hang around a bit and make a few more comments?

    Kind Regards,
    Malcolm

    ReplyDelete