Thursday 17 April 2008

Frosts destroyed our plants again!

For the second year running we, at Claines Canna, have lost 1,000+ Canna rhizomes that I had patiently cleaned, divided and packaged ready for distribution in trades and sales. I spent many days of my life, that I will never have back again, creating these packages.

The losses were caused again by failure of our electric thermostatically controlled heaters. Last year the losses were caused by a failure in the electric supply on the coldest day of the year.

To see the labeled plastic bags full of black rotting rubbish is soul destroying, and I have had enough for this year. Sorry if we had organized trades or sales, but all we have left is the collection, and a few spares that Margaret is selling on eBay.

Right now I feel totally deflated and I I just want to concentrate on getting our collection outside growing in the soil again, intact and ready for a great year of growing.

5 comments:

  1. Look on the positive side, you'll have some great compost next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel for you Malcolm.

    Soon I will be sending you some things that may help in the cheering up process.

    Mal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks anon, that really helped!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Malcolm,

    Looking forward to the new ones. I still have the main one(s) you wanted safe in the collection in a separate tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to read of your losses, but it does happen to the best of us!!Time to change the heaters to calor gas- much more reliable.

    ReplyDelete